Six Tips To Battle SAD
- Take Vitamin D. Know your levels. The ideal number you should shoot for is 50-60 ng/ml. Work with your doctor to determine whether you a daily supplement throughout the winter months. Most people require between 2,000-5,000 IU daily of Vitamin D3.
- Get a light box. For as little as 30 minutes a day, exposing your brain to a bright light can help mimic the longer days of summer while combating fatigue and oversleeping. Look for a light box that emits white light and filter out most UV light.
- Exercise regularly. Plan pleasurable physical activities to naturally increase serotonin and release healthy endorphins. Take advantage of snowy weather by taking a ski trip or tubing with kids in the neighborhood.
- Avoid alcohol. It can be easy to nurse your woes with a cocktail this time of year. These liquid calories can add up quickly and cause unwanted weight gain. Try substituting your nightcap with a relaxing cup of chamomile tea.
- Stay positive. Start a gratitude or daily meditation practice so that you can stay focused on the positive things in your life. Spring is around the corner!